JAMESTOWN, NORTH DAKOTA — A North Dakota man amazingly cut off his own arm to save his life after it became stuck in an electric meat mixer.
According to KFGO, Myron Schlafman was making sausage in his garage on Aug. 17.
According to AP, he went to remove a chunk of meat from the machine, when he accidentally stepped on the power pedal, pulling his left arm into the machine.
Myron said the bone was severed but that his hand remained attached by some skin, nerves and tissue.
Talking to KFGO, Schlafman said, "when my arm went in there, that must have been instant shock. I just looked and knew I was in big trouble. When I cut off my arm, I could feel my nerves jumping. If I would have hesitated, I would have stood right there and bled to death."
Schlafman also credited two responding officers for saving his life by quickly applying a tourniquet.
The 69-year-old Vietnam veteran was then transported to the hospital, were he spent nine days and underwent three surgeries.
After his arm heals, Myron will be fitted with a prosthetic.