Young girl left hospitalised after freak accident in swimming pool

Turns out the young girl had aspiration pneumonia, also known as "dry drowning," a condition that occurs when someone inhales water through the mouth or nose and it gets into the lungs.

    2018/04/27

NSFW    SARASOTA, FLORIDA — Florida mother Lacey Grace is sharing her daughter's story in the hopes it will save the life of another child from "dry drowning."

Earlier this month, 4-year-old Elianna Grace was enjoying some swimming time at her grandparents' house in Sarasota, Florida.

Elianna was playing with a pool noodle at the time, and reportedly put her mouth on the toy to blow when someone else simultaneously blew through the other end, causing water to shoot directly down her throat.

The child immediately vomited, but 30 minutes after, she appeared normal again.

Elianna later developed a fever that eventually subsided. However, a couple of days later, the fever returned.

When Lacey took Elianna to the doctor, she was advised to take her daughter to the nearest emergency room immediately.

Lacey said that Elianna's heart rate was running high, her oxygen level was low, and her skin was turning purple.

A chest X-ray showed Elianna was suffering from inflammation and an infection from the chemicals in the swimming pool.

Elianna was diagnosed with aspiration pneumonia, also known as "dry drowning," a condition that occurs when someone inhales water through the mouth or nose, causing water to enter the lungs.

Lacey says she read an article a year earlier about a Texas boy — the same age as Elianna — who died from "dry drowning."

An updated Facebook post from Lacey showed her daughter in her hospital bed smiling and showing a thumbs up sign. Elianna now recovering at home and is expected to be fine.
NEXT ON TOMONEWS
MobileCoin just raised $30 million for mobile payments

Facebook Conversation
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE