This mom was stuck in the second floor of a burning building. The only way to save her baby was to jump

Christina Simoes spent Mother’s Day in a hospital bed after she was paralyzed saving her son from a fire on May 7 in Haverhill, Massachusetts.

    2014/05/13

NSFW    Everyday Heroes

Christina Simoes spent Mother’s Day in a hospital bed after she was paralyzed saving her baby boy from a fire on May 7 in Haverhill, Massachusetts.

Simoes was lying in bed with her 18-month-old son when a fire broke out in their apartment. She jumped up when she saw smoke outside her bedroom window and grabbed her son to run to safety.

"That's when I saw the flames were only 10 feet away from where I was standing," Simoes said.

The only way out was the second-story balcony.

"I grabbed my son and I held him as tight as I could to my chest and I gave him a kiss and a hug, and I told him I loved him and I jumped out the window," Simoes told CBS Boston from her hospital bed.

Simoes broke a vertebrae in her back and required surgery, but her son suffered only a small bruise on his head. Doctors do not know whether she’ll be able to walk again, but all she seems to be concerned with is the wellbeing of her son.

"I don't think that I'm any special hero at all. I'm just Cameron's mom."
NEXT ON TOMONEWS
Boko Haram Releases new video demanding prisoner releases in exchange for girls' safe return

Facebook Conversation
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE