FORT LAUDERDALE, FLORIDA — New Year’s Eve was harrowing for one terrier, who almost lost a paw to an escalator at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International airport.
WPLG reports that the dog was set to fly back to New York with its humans, and was walking up an escalator when its left hind leg was swallowed by the escalator guard.
The terrified owners attempted to free their pooch, only to get bitten by the distressed animal.
Airport deputies tried to help, but couldn’t free the pup without the proper tools.
Firefighters from the Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue finally saved the day, freeing the terrier from the escalator’s clutches and returning it to its humans — both of whom refused treatment for their bites.
The dog wasn’t seriously injured, but the incident should serve as a warning to keep animals off the moving steps.