Sexbots hitting the market are raising moral and ethical concerns
A report released this week entitled “Our Sexual Future With Robots,” authored by non-profit organization Responsible Robotics, is now posing questions about sex, relationships, and society at large.
EARTH — The latest models of sexbots on the market have people wondering what this could mean for sex, relationships, and society at large. A group of researchers have published a paper outlining a number of pertinent questions that has suddenly heated up the debate as to the morality and ethics surrounding the inclusion of robots into our lifestyles.
The an introductory consultation report released this week entitled “Our Sexual Future With Robots,” authored by non-profit organization Responsible Robotics, is now posing these questions to the public:
1. Would people have sex with a robot?
2. What kind of relationship can we have with a sex robot?
3. Will robot sex workers and bordellos be acceptable?
4. Will sex robots change societal perceptions of gender?
5. Could sexual intimacy with robots lead to greater social isolation?
6. Could robots help with sexual healing and therapy?
7. Would sex robots help to reduce sex crimes?
The researchers behind the paper believe the incorporation of sexbots into our lives will inevitably increase social isolation. The theory is based on the assumption that social anxieties will rise because humans who spend their quality time with robots might forget how to actually be with other humans. Due to lack of familiarity with real people, the idea of creating intimacy between people could very well become a thing of the past.
NEXT ON TOMONEWS
What Up at the White House Episode 8