Pentagon says 50 soldiers were injured after Iranian missile strike
The Pentagon has raised the number of casualties after Iranian fired ballistic missiles on a U.S. base to retaliate for the killing of Iranian general Qassem Soleimani.
IRAQ — The Pentagon now says that 50 U.S. troops stationed in Iraq have been diagnosed with traumatic brain injury after an Iranian missile strike earlier this month.
The agency previously said that 34 troops had been injured in the Iranian attacks.
In an earlier statement, the Department of Defense explained that Iran launched more than a dozen ballistic missiles that targeted U.S. military and coalition forces in Iraq on January 7.
The attack was an act of retaliation against the U.S. after the killing of Qassem Soleimani, an Iranian Revolution Guard general.
Thirty-one of the soldiers were treated in Iraq and have since returned to duty, Reuters reports, citing a statement. Eighteen troops have been sent to Germany for further treatment while one was sent to Kuwait and has since returned to duty.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, symptoms of traumatic brain injury include headaches, dizziness, nausea, and sensitivity to noise or light.
The Trump administration has been criticized for taking so long to reveal the extent of casualties caused by the Iranian missile attack, reports BBC News.
U.S. President Donald Trump had initially said that no U.S. soldier had been injured right after the attack before raising the number of casualties to 34 and now 50.
NEXT ON TOMONEWS
The Wuhan coronavirus has spread to every region in China