Man contracts deadly infection from his dog's saliva

A man suffered blood poisoning after his dog licked him, resulting in amputation of his limbs.

    2018/08/02

NSFW    MILWAUKEE, WISCONSIN — A man lost his arms and legs after his dog's saliva caused a blood infection in his body, reports The Washington Post.

Greg Manteufel suffered from sepsis, or blood poisoning, from the bacteria called Capnocytophaga canimorsus after it entered his bloodstream from his dog's saliva.

His wife was quick to rush him to the hospital after he went into septic shock, reports Milwaukee Patch.

Apparently the sepsis caused Manteufel to develop multiple blood spots which looked like bruises on his chest, face and the rest of his body.

The doctors then tried to stop the infection from spreading with antibiotics. However, that blocked blood flow and caused some tissue and muscles to die.

According to The Washington Post, the doctors then amputated his legs from the knee down, as well as his hands.

Dr. Silvia Munoz-Price, an infectious disease specialist, noted that Manteufel had contracted a rare infection and "more than 99 percent of people … will never have this issue ..."
NEXT ON TOMONEWS
Facebook uncovers disinformation campaign to influence midterms

Facebook Conversation
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE