Little girl temporarily paralyzed from tick bite

Be careful for ticks.

    2018/06/13

NSFW    GRENADA, MISSISSIPPI — A 5-year old Mississippi girl was temporarily paralyzed after getting tick bite during one of her T-ball games.

Kailyn Kirk was fine after her game, but when she woke up the next morning she couldn't walk.
When her mother Jessica Griffin — who posted about the incident over Facebook — started combing through Kailyn's hair, she noticed a tick in her scalp.
After consulting with her husband, who is currently deployed in Iraq, she put the tick in a ziplock bag and rushed Kailyn to the hospital.

At the University of Mississippi Medical Center, Kailyn had some blood work and a CT scan. Doctors later diagnosed her with tick paralysis.
Tick paralysis is caused when female ticks bite someone on the scalp or at the nape of the neck, and release a toxin from their saliva. Tick paralysis is normally very sudden — within 24 hours.
To treat tick paralysis, the tick only needs to be removed. People usually recover within a day.

According to her mom, Kailyn was a champ through the whole ordeal. She even walked out of the hospital by herself later that evening.
NEXT ON TOMONEWS
Dog hailed a hero for warning family about nearby blaze

Facebook Conversation
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE