Headphones explode on Beijing-Melbourne flight

A woman on a flight to Melbourne was horrified after she woke up and realized her headphones had exploded while she was asleep.

    2017/03/15

NSFW    AUSTRALIA — The Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) has issued a warning after a pair of headphones exploded on an inbound flight.

According to an advisory posted on the ATSB website, a woman on a flight from Beijing to Melbourne had been listening to music on a pair of battery-operated headphones.

She fell asleep about two hours in, and woke up to a loud explosion and a burning sensation on her face.

After eventually pulling off the burning headphones, she threw them on the floor. They were sparking and had small amounts of fire. As the woman was about to stamp on the headphones, flight attendants came and doused them with water.

Photos taken after the incident show the woman with singed hair and eyebrows, and black soot all over her face. She also sustained burns to her hands.

Authorities believe the batteries in the device had likely caught fire.

They advised passengers to stow battery powered gadgets when not in use, and to keep spare batteries in carry-on baggage.
NEXT ON TOMONEWS
Female jogger fights off rapist in public bathroom attack

Facebook Conversation
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE