HARRISBURG, PENNSYLVANIA — A rechargeable hoverboard has been blamed for a house fire last Friday night that killed a toddler in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.
Victim Ashanti Hughes, 2, is the first person in the United States to be killed by a hoverboard fire. She died in the hospital on Saturday morning as a result of her injuries, PennLive reported.
The toddler suffered 95 percent full thickness burns to her body. The coroner ruled her death was an accident.
The blaze ripped through a house after the hoverboard caught fire while it was recharging. Family members reportedly heard sizzling and crackling coming from the hoverboard.
Two other young girls who lived at the house were also injured in the blaze. They were said to be in critical condition.
Ashanti’s father and a teenage boy were released from the hospital after they were treated for smoke inhalation.
A firefighter was killed after he was injured in a car crash on his way to the scene. According to police, the crash was caused by a 19-year-old woman driving a stolen vehicle while high on drugs.
Ashanti’s death will once again highlight the dangers of hoverboards. The devices have made headlines in recent years after causing several fires around the country.