Flesh-eating bacteria meets woman's eye sockets
Watch out for this one.
NASHVILLE, TENNESSEE — A woman had one hell of an eye opening experience after her eye sockets got a bit too up close and personal with some flesh-eating bacteria.
According to a case report in The Journal of Emergency Medicine, a 58-year-old woman showed up at the emergency room after her eyes had been bugging her for five days.
The report published on Nov. 7, said the woman had been suffering from eye pain and swelling which had gotten progressively worse.
According to Live Science, an eye exam found her to have pretty intense swelling around both her eye sockets as well as a bunch of goo discharging from her eyes.
At first, doctors thought she might have the bacterial infection cellulitis, which affects the skin and underlying tissue.
She was given antibiotics, but when her symptoms got worse, physicians worried that it could be necrotizing fasciitis. A tissue sample confirmed their fears.
Necrotizing fasciitis is a bacterial infection that destroys the skin and muscle tissue and can quickly spread throughout the body.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, people can become infected when bacteria enter the body through breaks in the skin, including cuts and scrapes, burns and surgical wounds.
It's unclear how the woman picked up the infection, but she had been taking medication for arthritis that weakened her immune system, leaving her more susceptible to severe infections.
The woman had to have several surgeries to remove the damaged and affected tissue, and received antibiotics to treat the specific strains of bacteria she was infected with.
After 13 days in the hospital, she was able to go home. She left in stable condition and luckily didn't experience any vision loss.
NEXT ON TOMONEWS
Huge purifying towers proposed to clean Delhi's air