Five-year-old hero saves grandmother from burning house in California

There was smoke in the room and the space heater in his bedroom was on fire. But instead of panicking, five-year-old Nathaniel woke up his grandmother and led her out.

    2015/11/11

NSFW    Everyday Heroes

PHELAN, CALIFORNIA — A five-year-old was honored with a plaque by the San Bernardino County Fire Department for saving his grandmother from a fire.

On Saturday, Nathaniel Stocks woke up in his grandmother’s house coughing. There was smoke in the room and the space heater in his bedroom was on fire. But instead of panicking the five-year-old just crawled down the hallway and woke up his grandmother.

Together they got out of the house safely. Firefighters soon arrived at the scene and extinguished the fire in 15 minutes. No one was injured.

The family dog was rescued from the bathroom, where she went hiding.

According to KTLA, the boy put into practice what he had learnt from a school visit to County Fire Station 10 two days earlier.

“I’m really proud of him,” Nathaniel’s grandmother, Kimberly Ratliff, was quoted by The Sun as saying. “He did everything exactly how he learned it. He came in, saved me, came in and we got out with most of the animals. Firefighters saved the rest. But he’s very good. He told me what to do and how to do it. He told me to crawl and not go back into the house.”
After waking up and noticing his space heater on fire, five-year-old Nathaniel crawled down the hallway and went to wake up his grandmother. TWITTER @SB COUNTY FIRE
After waking up and noticing his space heater on fire, five-year-old Nathaniel crawled down the hallway and went to wake up his grandmother. TWITTER @SB COUNTY FIRE
Firefighters eventually extinguished the fire. No one was injured. TWITTER @SB COUNTY FIRE
Firefighters eventually extinguished the fire. No one was injured. TWITTER @SB COUNTY FIRE
NEXT ON TOMONEWS
Indonesia wants to use unbribable crocodiles to guard death-row prison inmates

Facebook Conversation
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE